Your rights, your information and how we use it
The Reporters’ Academy is committed to protecting your personal information.
Who we are
We are The Reporters’ Academy Limited, a not for profit youth media production company.
How to contact us
Information we collect and use
Information about you that we collect and use includes:
• Information about who you are e.g. your name, date of birth and contact details
• Information about your contact with us e.g. meetings, phone calls, emails
• Information that is automatically collected e.g. via cookies when you visit one of our websites
• Information classified as ‘sensitive’ personal information e.g. relating to your health. This information will only be collected and used where it’s needed to meet health and safety legal requirements as part of a service/opportunity we provide
• Information you may provide us about other people e.g. emergency contact members of your family/carers
Where we collect your information
We may collect your personal information directly from you, from a variety of sources, including:
• an application for one of our opportunities or services
• phone conversations with us
• emails you send to us
• meetings with us
• participating in research surveys to help us understand you better and improve our opportunities and services
• our online services such as websites, social media and mobile device applications (‘Apps’)
Sometimes, a teacher, lecturer, parent, carer will provide us with the information we collect and use on your behalf.
We may also collect personal information on you from places such as business directories and other commercially or publicly available sources e.g. to check or improve the information we hold (like your address) or to give better contact information if we are unable to contact you directly.
What we collect and use your information for
We take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use information which is personal to you where it is necessary, fair and lawful to do so. We will collect and use your information only where:
• you have given us your permission [consent] to send you information about opportunities and services offered by The Reporters’ Academy or selected third parties we have chosen to work with which we believe may be of interest and benefit to you
• it’s necessary to provide the opportunity or service you have requested e.g. emergency contact details for a location film shoot
• it’s necessary for us to meet our legal or regulatory obligations e.g. provision of a DBS for working with young people
• it’s in the legitimate interests of a third party e.g. proof of age for media accreditation
If you do not wish us to collect and use your personal information in these ways, it may mean that we will be unable to provide you with our activities, opportunities or services.
Who we may share your information with
We may share your information with third parties for the reasons outlined in ‘What we collect and use your information for.’
These third parties include:
• Companies/clients we have chosen to support us in the delivery of the activities, opportunities and services we offer to you e.g. Your name and contact for the organisation of transport to a production event
• If requested, law enforcement, for the prevention and detection of crime
• If requested, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) e.g. for the prevention of tax avoidance
We will never sell your details to someone else. Whenever we share your personal information, we will do so in line with our obligations to keep your information safe and secure.
Where your information is processed
The majority of your information is processed in the UK and European Economic Area (EEA).
However, some of your information may be processed by us or the third parties we work with outside of the EEA, including countries such as the Australia and Fiji.
Where your information is being processed outside of the EEA, we take steps to ensure that your information is protected to at least an equivalent level as would be applied by UK / EEA data privacy laws e.g. we will put in place legal agreements with our third party suppliers and check to ensure they meet these obligations.
How we protect your information
We take information and system security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal information which is collected, recorded or used in any way, whether on paper, online or any other media, will have appropriate safeguards applied in line with our data protection obligations.
Your information is protected by controls designed to minimise loss or damage through accident, negligence or deliberate actions. Our employees also protect sensitive or confidential information when storing or transmitting information electronically and undertake training on this.
Our security controls are aligned to industry standards and good practice; providing a control environment that effectively manages risks to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your information.
How long we keep your information
We will keep your personal information only where it is necessary to provide you with our activities, opportunities or services while you are a crew member, partner or client. We may also keep your information after this period but only where required to meet our legal or regulatory obligations. The length of time we keep your information for these purposes will vary depending on the obligations we need to meet.
Your individual rights
You have several rights in relation to how The Reporters’ Academy uses your information. They are: Right to be informed
Right of access
You have the right of access to your personal information. If you wish to receive a copy of the personal information we hold on you, you may make a data request.
Right to request that your personal information be rectified. If your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you can request that it is corrected.
Right to request erasure
You can ask for your information to be deleted or removed if there is not a compelling reason for The Reporters’ Academy to continue to have it.
Right to restrict processing
You can ask that we block or suppress the processing of your personal information for certain reasons. This means that we are still permitted to keep your information – but only to ensure we don’t use it in the future for those reasons you have restricted.
Right to data portability
You can ask for a copy of your personal information for your own purposes.
Right to object
You can object to The Reporters’ Academy processing your personal information where: it’s based on our legitimate interests (including profiling); for direct marketing (including profiling); and if we were using it for scientific/historical research and statistics.
How to make a complaint
If you are still unhappy, you can complain to our Supervisory Authority. Their contact details are: UK – ICO at https://ico.org.uk
Thank you from The Reporters’ Academy Directors.